Tue, Wed, Fri, Sun from 11:00 to 19:00, Sat from 11:00 to 20:00,
Thu from 12:00 to 21:00, Mon – closed
The mansion in which the apartment is located was built on the site of a wooden house that burned down during the fire in Moscow in 1812, immediately after the end of the Napoleonic invasion. From the middle of the 19th century, its owners were the Varykhanov merchants, who were engaged in leatherworking in Moscow. It was they who decided to use it as a tenement house. In 1904, the house was rebuilt according to the project of the famous architect Vasily Shaub in the Art Nouveau style that was fashionable at that time: bay windows, a balcony, a front entrance, and forged gates appeared.
The building of the mansion was completely transferred to the Museum of Contemporary History of Russia in 2015. Since 2016, large-scale repair and restoration work has been carried out here, which ended in 2019.
Located on the second floor, Krzhizhanovsky's apartment is one of the few, if not the only, Moscow apartment that has survived to this day with original interiors and furnishings in the rational modernist style - a popular artistic style of the late 19th - early 20th centuries. At the beginning of the 20th century, this apartment housed the office of the Moscow branch of the Electric Lighting Society of 1886, and since 1913, the Electro-Transmission Joint Stock Company. In these companies, which are subdivisions of the German company Siemens and Halske, since 1910, process engineer Gleb Maximilianovich Krzhizhanovsky worked in various positions. Since 1919, after the nationalization of the house, he began to use the former office as an apartment, largely preserving the old atmosphere. Here he lived for 40 years until his death in 1959.
Krzhizhanovsky's apartment, with an area of about 170 square meters, has six rooms, an entrance hall and a kitchen. The interiors of the hallway and five rooms have survived to this day: the reception room, the study of Gleb Maximilianovich, the room of his wife, Zinaida Pavlovna Krzhizhanovskaya (Nevzorova), the dining room and the bedroom. Exhibition halls are now located in two rooms that have lost their original appearance.